¡Bienvenidos! Spanish I focuses on the development of the students communicative competence in Spanish and their understanding of the culture(s) of Spanish-speaking countries. Students learn to communicate in real-life situations about topics that are meaningful. Students are encouraged to use the Spanish language as much as possible. Grammar instruction is integrated into each lesson in the context of the situation. Through the language learning process, students develop an understanding on how language is structured and the unique cultural aspects of the Spanish Speaking world.
Aims and Objectives
The language objectives are designed to enable students to become multi-literate by developing their:
- Oral Communication
- Visual Interpretation
- Written Literacy
- Reading Comprehension
50% Tests/ Projects
20% Journals (checked every 5 days)
15% Classwork/ Homework
- Composition Notebook
- Pocket Folder
- Pen/Pencil, Scissors, and Glue
- Crayons, Colored Pencils, or Markers
- The students will enter the room and say: “Buenos días/ Buenas tardes” in a quiet and orderly manner, and go directly to his/her journals and start writing.
- You will remain seated when the bell rings, until class is dismissed by the teacher.
- The student will bring all necessary materials to class every day.
- The students will demonstrate respect for all people and property.
- Students will wait to be recognized by the teacher before speaking or leaving his/her seat.
- Name placed on board – warning given
- Check placed by name – 30 minuted after school detention. Parents will be notified
- Second check by name – office referral. Parents will be notified. Automatic 1 hour detention.
- The satisfaction of a job well done
- Positive notes and calls home to parents for good behavior
Reminders to Parents
Your child can donate 2 of the following items for 10 points towards the first test.
- Construction Paper
- Glue Sticks (2 or more)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Box of pencils/pen/glue
Attendance/ Make-Up Work
Attendance is extremely important to do well in the class. In order to learn the language, you must be present in class. You will need to practice/ make up work when you are absent. Students are responsible for missed assignments. Students have 2 days to turn in missing work to get full credit. Journals are done every day; it’s worth 20% of their grade. Journal is checked every 5th entry.